My flight was the first into Narita airport at 6am on Wednesday morning and as I made my way into Tokyo snow began to fall… It was too warm for it to stay on the ground, but it continued falling through the day becoming rain in the afternoon.
I found myself a place to stay – the cheapest I can find; about $480 for a dorm bed with kitchen and internet (when I get it working) facilities for the month. There are 3 other girls in the reasonably sized room which is in a v. small apartment near Ueno. Why a dorm you ask? Well, I’m going snowboarding for a week or 2, so I won’t even be in it! But I also thought having people around would keep me busy and stop me thinking “what am I doing over here!? Am I insane?”, which admittedly I have already thought several times today… After the month is up I’ll probably move into a guest house (basically a room in a shared apartment) for another month or two, giving me my own room, more comfortable premises and hopefully space worth what I’ll be paying for it. Or maybe I’ll head down to Kyoto or Osaka… (where the grass will be green and the sakura blossoms pretty…)
So far I’ve encountered 3 sleeping girls and a guy from Barcelona (David) in the residence. I’ve spoken to David a bit (using mixed Jap and English, since he knows just a little more English than I know Jap). Apparently the boys in this house chat and party together etc. but the girls don’t talk just treating it as a place to sleep…
Today has been an awesome blue sky day and I'm heading about looking for a Japanese school to enrol in...



6 Bludgers' annotations: