If you're reading this your page is taking ages to load...Do the crab dance while you're waiting! Da na na na na na na, da na na na na na na, da na na na nah nah na... *snip snip snip snip*

12:05 am - Tuesday, October 24, 2006

If you're feeling stressed or depressed at the moment it's probably a good idea to stop reading this post now.


*waves big distracting flag that will allow you to go back to whatever else you were doing*


So. Pops passed away last week. Mum's flying down to Melbourne for the day tomorrow to attend the funeral.

Ok, so maybe I should explain a little context. Way back in the '70s when mum was working and studying in Melbourne she went to this party where she made friends with Lola and Roy (aka Nana and Pops). They became her 'Aussie' parents - Pops even 'gave away' mum when she had her wedding (hmmm... Wow, I've never asked about it, but it must'ave been way too expensive for the Malaysian family to come over - and mum and dad had a small wedding anyhow I think). All in all Nana and Pops are our Aussie 'grandparents' (And they're probably closer to us than any of our blood relatives).
Being married for 60+ years (wow!) it must have been really hard for Nana as Pops got alzheimers and gradually forgot everything, even her. With his body still going strong it wasn't until a stroke a couple of weeks before we went down that Pops was immobilised, bed stricken, dependant on the staff of the nursing home for every little thing. Not being forced to consume enough fluid, it was only a matter of time till his kidneys packed up, which brings us up to his condition at the start of last week.

Ok, so I currently have 4 living "grandparents" - 'gua-ma' (mum's mother), 'gua-kong' (mum's father), 'grandma' (which would be 'ah-ma' if we used the traditional address), and 'Nana'. Don't ask me why only Nana is capitalised, there's no logic behind it.

I visited Grandma on the weekend. What a change! Last I saw her she was, albeit a little tired, still capable of feeding herself, asking us questions and voicing up her opinion of things. Mind you that was just a little after I got back. It's hard to conceive all the elements of old age. Well, at least I can find comfort in the fact that Gua-ma and Grandma are Christian.
Hmmm. Well, there's a lot more left unsaid, and that's probably the way it should be. I don't wanna get old! Shilpa, if you're reading this, we might want to consider shifting our Thelma and Louise stunt back a bit from 2089... :P
And wahh for Pops.

Up, up, up and away!!

2 Bludgers' annotations:

Blogger Minerva said...

My condolences to you and your family. I hope you take comfort that he's no longer in pain. *hugs*

- 24/10/06 10:59 am
Blogger Catie said...

My sympathies to all of you :(

Old age seems kinda like a lottery... sometimes it's fine, sometimes it sucks.

But yeah, I'll join with the others
*hugs*

- 24/10/06 1:25 pm


CALENDAR

suggest

PRAYER POINTS

comment on PP

FROM MAY

Make Japanese friends, with whom I can practice my Japanese and work in Osaka.

MID/END JULY

Extend Working Holiday Visa

JULY/AUGUST

Meet up with Tokyo friends to climb Fuji!

MID/END SEPTEMBER

WEEK 1:Make my way up to Tokyo.

WEEK 2:Explore a little of northern Honshu.

26th SEPTEMBER

Evening Qantas flight to arrive 27th AM.

MID OCTOBER

Start full time work with TTW. Find a pad in Harbord area so I can surf it up before work.

At the moment it looks like I will stay home awhile from lack of $$!

JAPAN

Decisions in budgeting, studying, working and exploring

...

PERSONAL

General travel safety

Sinking my teeth into and learning Japanese well

keeping in contact with everyone!

Hooking up with a good bible based church

opps to share lives with 日本人 and make some good friends!

Not getting surf deprived

Visitors? / Travel Companions?