If you're reading this your page is taking ages to load...Do the crab dance while you're waiting! Da na na na na na na, da na na na na na na, da na na na nah nah na... *snip snip snip snip*

8:09 pm - Saturday, February 09, 2008

Flower arrangement, dance, green tea... among other things.

Photos!!

I've been lazy so far, so here's some photos to prove that, yes, I really am in Japan!

The dorm I'm in is near Sensoji Temple in Asakusa, so of course I've wandered over there a couple of times... I've also taken the trek to the Meiji jinguu shrine near Harajuku with Angelique on one of the first times we met up.

Last Saturday it was pretty chilly and Ayumi, the Jap girl I was out with (David's friend's friend), brought me into a sushi train... Where the ladies next to us ordered some fresh, and it was still alive!! The head was twitching on the plate as we watched it... So cruel...
Ayumi also predicted the next day of snow...


I went to Tokyo Baptist Church on that snowy Sunday, and think I will be back there again until the time I leave Tokyo in mid-April... It's such a massive church that there are 5 services a weekend, so you can get a little lost... But there's a college bible study group just after the 1:30 Sunday service so it works well for me...

Thursdays at the Tokyo Volenteer centre there are some Japanese natives that hang out near Iidabashi... Willing victims on which I can practice my Japanese... It was there that I saw a flyer for the fun I had today,but getting home from there at 11pm at night I was super surprised at the train station... I wonder what it's like at peak?
Today I attended a Japanese culture day, got to wear a yukata, saw lots of others wearing yukatas/kimonos with beautiful obis;

Watched and tried Japanese dancing..

And had a tea ceremony and an attempt at flower arrangement... I got to take the flowers home too! But unfortunately I'm away this week at the snow so I won't get to watch them open up!


Anyway, more when I get back from the Alps!

Labels: ,

Up, up, up and away!!

2 Bludgers' annotations:

Blogger Unknown said...

Alicia!!!

I was so sad cos I almost thought I couldn't graffiti your blog with my comments. BUT I CAN!!! HOORAY!!!

I'm sure you did the best an engineer could do with the flower arranging ;-p

And that's so funny about the fashion conscientiousness, I wonder what they'll make of you just wearing normal clothes and no makeup pancake? It's just occured to me how funny it is that previously, visitors to Japan focussed on the super dressed up, super made up geishas, and now the attention is very drawn to the super dressed up, super made up teenage/young adult portion of the population hanging around Tokyo... Weird!!

It's fun to read of your travels though, and you've clearly got the travelblog situation totally sorted out.

God bless,

:-) Jo

P.S. glad to hear that Tokyo Baptist church sounds like a goer and that there's a campus bible study. As I'm sure you know, being out of Christian community can make the whole thing a lot tougher sometimes, so, yay, you've found some :-)

- 10/2/08 10:00 am
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Engineers make very patterned flower arrangements - at least geometrically speaking. :P

I didn't notice the extreme makeup < ten years ago ~ there may have been a generational change. Anyway, yuck. Is it a 'Memoirs of a Geisha' thing?

P.

btw, I've just emailed Geoff (Osaka); I'll see what he's doing May/June.

- 13/2/08 3:04 pm


CALENDAR

suggest

PRAYER POINTS

comment on PP

FROM MAY

Make Japanese friends, with whom I can practice my Japanese and work in Osaka.

MID/END JULY

Extend Working Holiday Visa

JULY/AUGUST

Meet up with Tokyo friends to climb Fuji!

MID/END SEPTEMBER

WEEK 1:Make my way up to Tokyo.

WEEK 2:Explore a little of northern Honshu.

26th SEPTEMBER

Evening Qantas flight to arrive 27th AM.

MID OCTOBER

Start full time work with TTW. Find a pad in Harbord area so I can surf it up before work.

At the moment it looks like I will stay home awhile from lack of $$!

JAPAN

Decisions in budgeting, studying, working and exploring

...

PERSONAL

General travel safety

Sinking my teeth into and learning Japanese well

keeping in contact with everyone!

Hooking up with a good bible based church

opps to share lives with 日本人 and make some good friends!

Not getting surf deprived

Visitors? / Travel Companions?