If you're reading this your page is taking ages to load...Do the crab dance while you're waiting! Da na na na na na na, da na na na na na na, da na na na nah nah na... *snip snip snip snip*

9:21 pm - Monday, April 07, 2008

Having fun zipping about the island of Shikoku, an island where some monk took a round route pilgrim to enlightenment visiting 88 temples along the way.

I took a day out to visit the first 7 of the temples, supposedly on foot (but I cheated catching a ride in a bus and from a local ;) )
and honestly that was enough for me; although I did come across some lovely hidden shrines along the way. The thing about this pilgrim is that the temples along it are completely tourist orientated; which is kinda good for the atmosphere - with the murmur of tourist groups chanting and going past in their `traditional` pilgrim outfit - but at the same time it means some awesome temples off the list are neglected...

(pilgrim piccys were downloaded to the laptop and I only have the USB at the mo.)


Actually, shrines/temples are as common (or moreso) than churches in Scotland; although those have been mainly turned into pubs or coffee shops. I suppose it`s kind of hard to turn a shrine to other uses; but a purpose to which they may be put is a childcare centre or playground, as seen in the following photo.
In fact, the older, richer, towns have shrines more often than you`d see parks in sydney suburbs...

My favorite town so far has been Uwajima; a little off the beaten track so less touristy than other places. The youth hostel there is pretty nice, up this massive hill (thankfully I`ve been able to leave my big pack in a locker in Matsuyama - my exit port for Hiroshima) of which there are a few. It`s a nice town to get around by bike; which the hostel lends out for free, but if you had to you could just visit the main sites on foot.

On the way down from Matsuyama I made a couple of stop offs; one to check out the unusual castle at Ozu, and another the heritage area of Uchiko, where there is a working Kabuki theatre.
I`m going to take an easy week this week; one, because I need to study before I start at school in 2 weeks (don`t want to be in the loser class!) and I haven`t studied since I finished school ages ago, and two, because transport takes forever, is expensive, so I have a cheap ticket that only allows travel on weekends!

Besides, Matsuyama is a nice town, the hostel has a nice shower and free internet and computer use (and tea, which I have been missing for a while!) and I just need a rest from being on the go every day since I went to the snow...

Plus I get the end of the cherry blossom season, sitting in the park with petals flying everywhere is really beautiful!

Up, up, up and away!!

1 Bludgers' annotations:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Leach, it seems like you have one massively fun trip and I am sure that the memories and experiences you have will stay with you forever. Hey when do you want to meet up for bible study again?

- 8/4/08 10:03 pm


CALENDAR

suggest

PRAYER POINTS

comment on PP

FROM MAY

Make Japanese friends, with whom I can practice my Japanese and work in Osaka.

MID/END JULY

Extend Working Holiday Visa

JULY/AUGUST

Meet up with Tokyo friends to climb Fuji!

MID/END SEPTEMBER

WEEK 1:Make my way up to Tokyo.

WEEK 2:Explore a little of northern Honshu.

26th SEPTEMBER

Evening Qantas flight to arrive 27th AM.

MID OCTOBER

Start full time work with TTW. Find a pad in Harbord area so I can surf it up before work.

At the moment it looks like I will stay home awhile from lack of $$!

JAPAN

Decisions in budgeting, studying, working and exploring

...

PERSONAL

General travel safety

Sinking my teeth into and learning Japanese well

keeping in contact with everyone!

Hooking up with a good bible based church

opps to share lives with 日本人 and make some good friends!

Not getting surf deprived

Visitors? / Travel Companions?