Actually, to hold the party she refused to let me help; and kicked me out of the house in the morning. So I spent saturday wandering the town; which, I've discovered has all these trendy shops and a funky shopping complex 'canal city', as well as the odd temple or shrine tucked away here and there.
This coming Sunday marks the exact half way point of my trip (4 months and 2 days in) now that I've booked my plane ticket back for the end of September!
Have been a bit homesick on occasion over the last few weeks - missing you all and wishing we could catch up soon! But now I've got the trip back I'm more focused on looking forward to using the time I have remaining here in Japan. ;) Every time I move cities here in Japan I think; "and at this next spot I'll only use Japanese" but that hasn't happened yet... So improvement is slow... But I still have over 4 months left, so there's still hope!
While in Fukuoka I've had a bit of fun singing tenor in a gospel choir on Thursday nights... This Sunday I had some time to go to the service at that church and although I didn't understand ANY of the sermon I joined the bible study afterwards (maybe half in Jap half in English, yay!). I feel refreshed having done so; I've finally learn why it is necessary to be so focused on budgeting!
Honestly, I've always thought; yeah, I don't use my money unnecessarily and so have not been an attendant at budgeting seminars while there were others to attend... And I have wondered why leaders of these seminars stress the point that we should often think about our money - isn't money just money? But, with the story of the rich young man Matthew 12:18-30 making us think about why accumulating savings without thought is bad (since it's based on worry and self dependance right?) I realise now that it is appropriate to spend much time considering the resource that we have been blessed with; how we use it in a life honouring God. So yay for learning how better to please God.
I arrived in Tokyo 4 months ago without work, a place to stay and knowing very little Japanese, so surely arriving in Osaka next week should be ok... Well, that's what I figure anyhow. Fun times! Next post from Osaka (or surrounds)!
God bless!


1 Bludgers' annotations: