I can’t really imagine that in exactly 9 weeks I’ll be home; but then this 6 months in Japan has flown by so fast – it’s like one big blur; it’ll be nice to get home, into a routine and reflect on all the fun I’ve had...
My friends that I went to the baseball game with were Tigers fans, yet of all the places in the stadium we were seated amongst the 5% of rabid Giants fans – so as we cheered or groaned we got heckled by nearby game watchers – which was fun and added a little more life to the game. It wasn’t a particularly good game; although we did see a home run and double play, and the Giants being in the lead we moved spots in the last innings so we wouldn’t get mobbed when the Giants won ;).
Tonight after work I bought my first Macca’s meal while here (oh the shame! But I didn’t feel like a bento or being ripped off by the yatais along the riverside...) and cycled to see the fireworks and after festivities of the Tenjin festival. To describe it to Sydney-siders it was a bit of a cross between the Easter show and New Years – fast food stores and prize fishing games everywhere, fireworks, lit up boats and floats cruising around, people sitting around on mats enjoying the company and some drinks... I sat for a while and people watched; or more watched the awesome array of Yukatas and other traditional dress that was being worn by the passers by...
I really want to watch the new Ghibli movie while here; Ponyo by the sea, but I saw the trailer while watching Totoro on TV the other night; and I couldn’t understand it! Ack! Oh well, I’m sure it’ll be fun anyhow.
Only have 5 more completely non-work days left in Osaka; so I thought I’d better plan to fit some awesome day trips in! I think 2 of them will be down to the beach and countryside of Wakayama, another to the Japan sea in the north, one to Kobe and... Have yet to decide on the last.
Mum is coming for a week in Sept and we’ll go to Kyoto and Nara...
In 2 weeks time I’m going to Tokyo area for a week; to climb Fuji and catch up with friends there perhaps for the last time... I also have in mind to buy some souvenirs and manga (since there is a SEVERE lack of second hand book stores in Osaka – I don’t think I’ve even seen a single one, and I’ve been cycling everywhere!). Any requests?
In the final week I have 4 days to meander up to Tokyo, which I have yet to plan, but apart from that my trip is up! Mixed feelings about leaving, but overall am excited about it; I think I’m too practical a person to enjoy working and wandering aimlessly for a long period of time – or maybe it’s the lack of beach getting to me. :P
Look forward to catching up with you all very soon!


1 Bludgers' annotations: