If you're reading this your page is taking ages to load...Do the crab dance while you're waiting! Da na na na na na na, da na na na na na na, da na na na nah nah na... *snip snip snip snip*

1:22 am - Friday, August 29, 2008

Heights (Fuji), depths (baptism) and new life.

In true Japanese style there is only one week of summer holidays for office workers; and I took the opportunity in this peaktime week to head up to Tokyo to catch up with friends, behave like a tourist and climb Mt Fuji.

On the 12th of August myself and 3 TBC (church) friends, plus one of their flatmate’s brother, started from one of the 5th base stations (2000m altitude) at 10:15pm. Thankfully the weather was mild (so the underprepared boys with us didn’t freeze to death), we were above the clouds for most of then night so we could stargaze during our rest intervals (I saw over 20 shooting stars!) and it only drizzled for a short time while up top, so we can claim that we conquered the 3667m altitude of Mt Fuji!

While in the Tokyo area I took the opportunity to meet up with a Jap girl I went surfing with in Sydney a couple of times. Having not been surfing for almost 7 months, I was raring to go, and the waves weren’t too bad for Japanese standards, so I was in for 5 hours straight! Finally, despite the fun I was having spinning my body 180 and riding switch on the longboard (thanks to snowboarding I guess), I caught a wave most of the way to shore and my body said; that’s it, you’re not going in again! After washing off we supped and enjoyed some wine on the terrace of a nearby restaurant; enjoying the balmy weather and watching the sunset.

While in Osaka I’ve been involved in both Osaka International Church (Sat night and teaching an English class) and a house church run by a Sydney guy and family in Koshien. Last weekend we went out the families’ house in Hyogo prefecture (the countryside) and enjoyed fellowship, several meaty Bible studies and playing with fireworks. I was also baptised, along with 2 fairly new Christians, in the local river. Now, to those who think it’s somewhat strange I haven’t been baptised, especially since I’ve been a Christian since I was 14, maybe it’s a Presby. thing, is all I can say. Obviously being baptised or not doesn’t affect the state of one’s salvation; which is based on faith in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour, so, as something which is just a symbol of my already existing state of death and rebirth with Jesus, it’s not an activity that I have pursued. However, the opportunity arose, so I did it. Not one of the “to do” things on my list for Japan, but there you go, finally done!

By now I have been in Japan 7 months and one week, with only 4 weeks left to go. Overall excited to be able to see you all, although slightly dreading leaving for all the usual reasons, but especially since I have a very busy looking 4 weeks of travel ahead of me! Hehe.

To those working in the city and still at uni; what’s a good time/day of the week 28/9-10/10 to meet for lunch/coffee? Dinner/weekends are out since I miss my family more than you… :P This Alicia exhibition is limited to 2 weeks only so book now! ;) Most loved, first served, hehe. Pun, that’s you hun, got any non-Phil-filled time off during that period? Tell Cat and tell her to take the time off too ;).

Up, up, up and away!!

5 Bludgers' annotations:

Blogger Catie said...

Hi! Yay home time! Unless I manage to get a job by then (highly unlikely) I am free Mon, Fri, and any morning really, although doing something then having to be at work by 12 can be a drag. Also my working hours are flexible. :) Why would I want a full-time job, huh? So I hope to see you soon!

- 29/8/08 1:49 pm
Blogger Therese said...

I can do daytimes, too, with sufficient notice! yay! Congrats on your baptism, how cool that you had it in a Japanese river. Was it cold?

- 1/9/08 10:35 pm
Blogger Alicia said...

Haha, summer here is not quite as hot as in Malaysia, but comparably humid!

- 2/9/08 3:41 pm
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, you conquered Fuji! What next Everest? I am glad you are having a great time and look forward to catching up with you when you get back. I can do Tuesday, Thursday or Friday lunch or if you are keen on getting up early I can do breakfast as long as I get to work by 9am. Hope to see you soon.

- 4/9/08 7:48 pm
Blogger Andrew and Catie said...

Looks like I spoke too soon. I have a job. It will be in the city so I could see you for lunch any day?

- 10/9/08 10:36 am


CALENDAR

suggest

PRAYER POINTS

comment on PP

FROM MAY

Make Japanese friends, with whom I can practice my Japanese and work in Osaka.

MID/END JULY

Extend Working Holiday Visa

JULY/AUGUST

Meet up with Tokyo friends to climb Fuji!

MID/END SEPTEMBER

WEEK 1:Make my way up to Tokyo.

WEEK 2:Explore a little of northern Honshu.

26th SEPTEMBER

Evening Qantas flight to arrive 27th AM.

MID OCTOBER

Start full time work with TTW. Find a pad in Harbord area so I can surf it up before work.

At the moment it looks like I will stay home awhile from lack of $$!

JAPAN

Decisions in budgeting, studying, working and exploring

...

PERSONAL

General travel safety

Sinking my teeth into and learning Japanese well

keeping in contact with everyone!

Hooking up with a good bible based church

opps to share lives with 日本人 and make some good friends!

Not getting surf deprived

Visitors? / Travel Companions?