If you're reading this your page is taking ages to load...Do the crab dance while you're waiting! Da na na na na na na, da na na na na na na, da na na na nah nah na... *snip snip snip snip*

2:42 am - Sunday, February 26, 2006

Well, that's the Tyne bridge in the background!

I used the last Britrail tix day on a bridge and countryside sight seeing tour! It was masses of fun :D.

At 9:05am (wow, I got there on time!) I caught a train down to Newcastle (1.5 hours south of Edi). Watching the countryside flit by I took dodgy quality pics - there were raindrops blocking the train window. :(

When I finally arrived in Newcastle I ignored the usual sights of the castle and cathedral, and zoned straight to the river bank to see all the funky bridges.


Oh, some of them are sooo cool and clever :D.
This one rotates (or use to) on the centre axis, so boats can go through on either side,
and this pedestrian one swings up to be an arch...
It was raining and windy, so windy in fact that when I was crossing the Tyne bridge I had to put down my umbrella! Needless to say I was a LITTLE damp when I hopped back into the train to head across to Carlisle. Why? Just because really... As the train headed west I observed all I could of Hadrian's wall (aka nothing :P) and saw more rolling hills, and sheep!

Hopping off at Carlisle what did I do but promptly hop on the next train back to Edi, where I changed to go to North Queensferry - the forth crossing.

Just as I was leaving (it was 5pm and getting dark) I saw this sign to a 'coastal path' walk which I was DYING to follow... And did for 10mins, after which I restrained myself and turned back for home... *sighs*

Plans for next week 1st to 5th:
Athens and a Greek island, haven't booked yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm into it! Nisha pulled out, so I'll be on my own again, better not have problems with dodgy old men again... EWWWW!!!

Up, up, up and away!!

5 Bludgers' annotations:

Blogger Catie said...

you're right, it does!
wow, how civil engineer like of you to take photos of all the bridges :p

have fun on your greek island!

- 26/2/06 10:55 am
Blogger Minerva said...

Yes I was gonna say, this girl is such an engineering student ;P

Ooooh, Greek islands and Athens!!! *sobs* eat a lotta Greek food, fresh Greek salad, load up on olive oil, spanakopita... ok will stop now. You're going alone?? Take me! Take me! As long as you can gurantee I'll be back by the 7th.

- 26/2/06 5:22 pm
Blogger Vivian said...

Bridges are cool, they let you walk across water without getting wet or being Jesus...

Oooooh Greece...are you going to see lots of those white houses on cliffs by the sea like they show on those travel shows? Hope you get picture perfect blue skies =)

- 26/2/06 11:29 pm
Blogger Alicia said...

Yay for bridges! :P

Yay for Greece. I've booked now - Thursday till Sunday! (well wed arvo to mon midday counting flight time...)

Expected highs of 19 degrees! Woohoo! Compared to Edinburgh's high today - 8 degrees! Ha, the joy...

Happy Birthday Catie and Alex while I'm gone! *waves flag for Catie* *waves flag for Alex*

- 28/2/06 7:00 am
Blogger Catie said...

Yay! Thank-you!
Happy Greece to you! Wow, sounds freezing over there...

- 28/2/06 2:13 pm


CALENDAR

suggest

PRAYER POINTS

comment on PP

FROM MAY

Make Japanese friends, with whom I can practice my Japanese and work in Osaka.

MID/END JULY

Extend Working Holiday Visa

JULY/AUGUST

Meet up with Tokyo friends to climb Fuji!

MID/END SEPTEMBER

WEEK 1:Make my way up to Tokyo.

WEEK 2:Explore a little of northern Honshu.

26th SEPTEMBER

Evening Qantas flight to arrive 27th AM.

MID OCTOBER

Start full time work with TTW. Find a pad in Harbord area so I can surf it up before work.

At the moment it looks like I will stay home awhile from lack of $$!

JAPAN

Decisions in budgeting, studying, working and exploring

...

PERSONAL

General travel safety

Sinking my teeth into and learning Japanese well

keeping in contact with everyone!

Hooking up with a good bible based church

opps to share lives with 日本人 and make some good friends!

Not getting surf deprived

Visitors? / Travel Companions?